What is Palliative Care?
Palliative care is relieving the pain without dealing with the cause of condition. Orthodox medicine tends to be palliative rather than curative: soothing; alleviating; calmative.
How does Palliative Care work?
Typically, a family member serves as the primary caregiver and, when appropriate, helps make decisions for the patient. Champion Hospice staff makes regular visits to assess the patient and provide additional care or other services. Champion Hospice staff is on-call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days per year.
The patient and their Champion Hospice team will develop a plan of care that meets each need for pain management and symptom control. Our team usually consists of:
- Patients and their caregivers
- The patient’s personal physician
- Medical Directors
- RN Case Managersare responsible for all aspects of care coordination and comfort
- RNs/LPNs monitor the care, the comfort, and provide education in the home
- Spiritual Counselors support the family and patient in their spiritual needs. All services are non-denominational and consistent with the patient’s individual beliefs and values
- Social Workers assist in identifying community resources and provide counseling and support for the patient and their family
What are the goals of Palliative Care?
- Being available to answer questions
- Providing the very best care available in our patients’ homes; increasing their ability to stay in their home
- Enhancing communication and education with family allowing greater understanding of the disease and its effects
- Improving medication efficacy through proper management and review
- Lowering patient overall out-of-pocket health care expenses
- Providing end-of-life planning support including assistance with DNRs, funeral preparations, and advanced directives
- Searching for all available resources in the community to provide safe and coordinated assistance
- Providing in home spiritual care often missing from seniors’ lives with failing health
- Developing personal relationships with our patients and their families
There are major differences in the way Palliative Care is delivered.
If you or a loved one could benefit from our comprehensive approach to end of life care, we welcome the opportunity to discuss it with you. Call us 281-444-6519 or Email email@example.com