National Bereavement Organizations
- American Academy of Bereavement P.O. Box 912 Buffalo, NY 14225-0912 800-726-3888 bereavementacademy.org Affiliate of the Center for Hospice & Palliative Care that provides extensive training related to palliative care and bereavement issues.
- Center for Loss and Transition 3735 Broken Bow Road Ft. Collins, CO 80526 970-226-6050 centerforloss.com
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization 1901 N. Moore Street Suite 901 Arlington, VA 22209 703-243-5900 nhpco.orgOffers training through its Council of Hospice Professionals.
- The Dougy Center: National Center for Grieving Children and Families P.O. Box 86852 Portland, OR 97286 503-775-5683 dougy.orgCenter for grieving children & families that has served as a model for other centers around the country. Provides training in how to develop such a program.
- Association for Death Education and Counseling 342 North Main Street West Hartford, CT 06117-2507 860-586-7503 adec.orgThe home organization for many professionals who work with death, dying, and bereavement.
- New England Center for Loss and Transition P.O. Box 185311 Hamden, CT 06518 covect.orgHolds annual conference on loss and bereavement. Keeps a database of support resources all over the Northeastern United States.
Hospice Written Resources
- Centering Corporation 1531 N. Saddle Creek Road Omaha, NE 68104 402-553-1200 centering.orgBook service that specializes in books and audio-video materials related to illness, death and bereavement.
- Compassion Books 477 Hannah Branch Road Burnsville, NC 28714 828-675-5909 compassionbooks.comBook service that specializes in books and audio-video materials related to illness, death, and bereavement.
Hospice Support Organizations
- AARP – Widowed Person’s Service 800-424-3410 aarp.org/griefandlossSupport groups and services for widows and widowers.
- Fernside- A Center for Grieving Children 2303 Indian Mound Ave. Cincinnati, OH 45212 513-841-1012 fernside.orgInformation and support service for grieving children and their caregivers.
- The Compassionate Friends P.O. Box 3696 Oak Brook, IL 60522-3696 630-990-0010 compassionatefriends.orgSelf-help organization for parents who have had a child die. Also has a catalog of excellent printed materials.
- Theos 322 Boulevard of the Allies – Suite 105 Pittsburgh, PA 15222-1919 412-471-7779 Information and support groups for widowed persons nationwide.
Hospice Grief/Bereavement Websites